Should You Include Sill Pan Flashing on Your Door Installation Projects?
Every building has an envelope—an exterior layer that serves as a physical barrier between the internal and external environments. When water penetrates this layer, it can have a marked impact on the building’s integrity and longevity. Additionally, it can cause issues that affect the health and safety of personnel such as the corrosion of metal parts, the development of mildew and mold, and the overall weakening of structural supports. Implementing proper sealing materials—such as window and door flashing—can minimize the risk of these occurrences.
The following post outlines some of the effects that result from improper window and door flashing installation, the challenges of achieving a proper seal, and how Window Crafters products serve as the best solution.
- Damage to buildings. Sill pans serve as a building’s final defense against water penetration that can occur at transitions. Without them, water finds its way into the building, increasing the risk of corrosion, mold, and even rot. Additionally, as many of these issues occur within walls or hidden-away areas, they can go unnoticed for weeks, months, or years, resulting in more significant damage and higher repair costs.
- Adverse health effects. Higher moisture levels can lead to the development of rot and mold, both of which can cause respiratory issues such as coughing, wheezing, and even asthma.
- Greater expenses. The total cost of moisture penetration includes both the cost of building repairs and the profit loss that results from negatively impacted occupant wellness.
Buildings constantly shift in tandem with environmental and seasonal changes. When humidity and temperatures change (or bad weather moves in), a building’s envelope is altered. This change can impact the strength and quality of any seals between interlocked parts.
Constancy of Water Intrusion
Water is highly persistent and can take advantage of any weak spot in the envelope to enter the building. Envelopes that seek to prevent water damage serve three functions:
- Prevent as much water intrusion as possible
- Reroute water away from vulnerable components as quickly and effectively as possible
- Remove water inside the building promptly and efficiently
Your Partner in Sill Pan Flashing
Window Crafters sill pan products are the ideal window and door flashing solution. Our products are reliable and help avoid every water intrusion challenge. From stainless steel to copper, it’s far superior to the average flashing product— it offers:
- All made in-house
- Durable construction
- Competitive cost
- Made in the USA